Bill Melendez, R.I.P.





The legendary animator died Tuesday at the age of 91. He was one of the animators on the classic, Oscar-winning UPA cartoon "Gerald McBoing-Boing," his elegantly minimalist lines and shifting colored backgrounds acting as the perfect visualization of Theodore Geisel (aka, Dr. Seuss)'s witty, rhyming narration. More than a decade later, he would co-produce the first Peanuts television special, A Charlie Brown Christmas, proving that his talent for telling the tales of awkward-but-lovable boys had not dimmed a bit.

Comments

Bob Westal said…
Wow, I missed that completely.

I really respect Melendez a lot. Definitely one of the good people.
Brian Doan said…
Hi Bob,
I know-- I missed it initially, too, until I saw the report online. I guess with all the other news going on this week, it's easy for things to get lost, but I wanted to highlight it because I love Melendez's work so much.

Popular Posts